Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lannie's Ladies


Our usual Saturday long run day was different this week, I ran a 5k instead and did my long run on Sunday. Every year for the last 3 years I have participated in the Ovarian Cancer Awareness 5k run/walk in honor of my friend Lannie. Lannie is an Ovarian Cancer survivor and the first year we did the event was just a few months after she got her clean bill of health. It was surreal knowing that we could have lost a dear friend, so we rallied the troops, a.k.a Co Co Moms and banded together to run in her honor. Well, in my case, walk in her honor. That was 3 years ago. This time I RAN it and with my best 5k time to date. Unfortunately it was a dreary, rainy day for the event. Not that rain bothers me to run, but it was the 10th Anniversary of the event and the ceremonies and dedications were cut short, all the vendors packed up and pretty up the event ended because of the weather. I really wanted to hear from the man who helped found the event; it was in honor of his beloved wife Linda, who passed away from her fight with Ovarian Cancer. He was grief stricken and wanted to do something to raise awareness, so that maybe others wouldn't have to lose their "Linda" too. He was a very inspiring man and I was hoping that the event would have been a huge success to further bring awareness to this much needed cause. Cancer in all its forms is an ugly, serpent that slips in and destroys everything it touches. I pray, hope and run so that some day this dark creature won't ever have to rear its head again. I was just happy to be there to share in a positive story about my friend Lannie and her journey that ended with a happy ending. She has the most amazing little boy that is incredibly lucky to have such a brave mother that fought cancer and WON! Love you Lannie! I will continue to run with you year after year.


Please take a minute to go to the National Coalition of Ovarian Cancer website. It could just save your life. http://www.ovarian.org/symptoms.php

Here are some other stories...http://www.dfwovarian.org/personal_stories.html


Date: 09/25/2010 35:41 AM
Distance: 3.1 miles
Time: 0 hr 35 min 41 secs
Average pace: 11:31 min/miles
Calories: 458

No comments:

Post a Comment